Posted on August 4, 2017
One thing I love about this job is it gives me a chance to catch up with friends of friends, who I met in our pre-kid days (theme parties? what are those?) and re-connected with over the years at mutual friends’ weddings, birthdays, kids’ birthdays, etc…
This family was especially fun to see because their baby girl and mine are just a month apart. At this seven / eight month stage, babies are developing so fast, seemingly changing every day. So while our babies are so alike, the differences stand out even more. We shared notes on teething, their strategies to get from A to B (she’s rolling, mine’s scooting and crawling), sleep habits, their sibling relationships, the annoyance of different clothing brands’ different sizing… and on and on. I think we’re all starting to get into a groove with our latest additions to our families, and this stage is really one to be enjoyed.
This baby girl is just a doll, she is so darn sweet. She was so happy during the entire session, such an easygoing baby. And the photo of her brother looking up at his daddy just melts my heart. Thank you, N. Family for inviting me to come capture your crew at this sweet stage!
Posted on July 28, 2017
Is there anything better than smocked outfits on a baby? Especially an eight-month old with rolls and dimples on her thighs, who’s crawling around everywhere with her toes curled under just so, arms flapping in excitement when she catches your eye…?? Eight months is the sweetest age.
The last month was a developmental blast for Littlest One — she cut six teeth (!!!), learned how to push herself up into a sitting position, and (drumroll, please…) mastered her crawling skills. Yay yay yay, my sweet girl!! She’d been scooting and rolling and just generally finding a way to get from point A to point B, but now, she’s a Master Crawler. I originally was displeased to see my third child learning to move so young (on our kids’ scale), but I’m over it. Because crawling babies are the cutest thing ever.
Our definition of “baby proofing” has certainly changed from child #1 to #3. Now, it’s all about teaching the three year old that her magnetic doll dress pieces are strictly off limits anywhere but the dining room table. A rule that of course, being a threenager, she has to ignore. So baby proofing this time = taking away all the siblings’ toys with tiny pieces until we move, and we can have a designated space for the big kids. Or a baby pen. Yep, we’ll probably go there until we learn the in’s and out’s of our new house…
The big move (eh, it’s two miles away) next month means we only have one more photo session in LO’s nursery here! Bittersweet… which I’m sure I’ll sap all about next month. But for now, I’ll savor these shots of LO in her? my favorite smocked outfit.
and a little preview… I’ve been taking these monthly pics, and I can’t wait to compile them all at her first birthday… but this one, I just loved, so I had to share early!
Posted on July 21, 2017
I was so, so very excited to meet this little babe! Her mama and I were coworkers and pregnant together with our first girls, and since then we’ve both shifted careers and moved. Fortunately, a trip to my in-laws brought me close to her in time for a newborn session.
We held the shoot on Baby B’s eight-week birthday. Early enough that we could still get some snuggly shots, but she spent most of the session awake and sweetly smiling, responding, and flashing her beautiful bright eyes.
Her big sister is clearly so proud of her new role — I loved watching her show off her baby and her home. She’s an absolute doll, with the most beautiful soft brown curls framing her face, and she was just a dream to photograph for the sibling shots. Especially when we let them play and read together on the living room floor — life as this family knows it now, and it’s perfect.
Baby B loved being curled up against her mama, the security and comfort she gets from being wrapped up in her mother’s arms so clear. And daddy was so proud of both his girls… I felt like every time he looked at her, he was just in awe of his new daughter.
This family is so well adjusted to being a family of four already… it just felt so natural and right. I am so happy I could see them, and I cannot wait to visit again the next time I’m in town!!
Posted on July 14, 2017
There are so many first birthdays to celebrate these days! Okay, I realize that’s our world right now — used to be weddings, one day it’ll be Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, then sweet sixteens… — but it feels like there’s another baby turning one every week.
This little girl was such a doll, and she’s so on the move! She wanted to crawl around the whole time, so she certainly kept me on my toes and her mama, too. I just love her big wide eyes, and her mama had the cutest outfits for her to wear… and her brother is the best dressed three year old in town. Enjoy these peeks from their session!
And how sweet is this cupcake feast??? love!!
Posted on July 6, 2017
Seven months – what a fun age!! I’ve been looking forward to the six-to-twelve month stage since we found out we were expecting. I just love it. Littlest One is growing by leaps and bounds, discovering new talents every day, interacting and communicating… This is when babies dish out smiles to strangers in the grocery store, finally able to ride around in the grocery cart seat like a royal in a carriage, waving their arms at everyone and everything and getting stopped on every aisle for a quick oh-and-ah conversation. I’m especially cherishing this time, because I know tantrums on the grocery store floor await me…
So what else do I want to remember about her 7th month?
- Someone’s sitting up on her own! This is such a game changer. It opens up a whole new world of toys and things for LO to play with. And for me, it means I can set her down for a few seconds to put on shoes, grab a bite, brush my teeth, whatever, and she stays happy. Phew!!
- A whole lotta teething and no teeth to show for it… this babe is our hardest teether by far. Her upper gums have been SO swollen and we can see the teeth, but none coming through… we left her 6 mo. check up with the pediatrician thinking they’d come through any day, and at 7 mo. check up? still hadn’t cut. UGH. Hence the drool in the pics that I didn’t edit out, because that’s life right now.
- Scootin’ around — the time came to clear out all the older kids’ tiny toys because LO is finding creative ways to inch herself across the floor. A combination of belly rocking, raises on all fours then flops down, and rolls get her across the floor. Her favorite target: Duplos.
- A budding yogi — she hasn’t mastered crawling, but she can do a solid Downward Dog.
- More babysitter time — both she and I are getting used to more time apart, and that’s healthy for both of us! I want her to be comfortable with other caregivers, and I’m ready for some me time to focus on work, the other kids, myself. Speaking of…
- Mama went away for the first time! I left town for three days/nights, and it was such a healthy thing to do. With the other two kids, I had work trips that took me away for the first time — in hindsight, those were good forcing functions. This time, I scheduled something 10 months ago with my mom, knowing LO would be six months old and both of us probably ready. I needed a few days without a baby attached to me, without feeling that tie and responsibility 24/7 (which I realize is largely because I choose to nurse her, so I’ve put that on myself). And LO could use time away from me, to bond with her daddy especially! I of course felt some stress and anxiety leading up to it, but once gone I relaxed, regrouped, and so enjoyed myself.
Yes, there are teeth in the above pic, because I took these photos a few days after her 7 month birthday… and they finally cut!!
Lastly, this girl is just growing, growing, growing! For the seventh month in a row, I can say we’re still not sleeping much… between the teething and the never-ending growth spurt, we can’t get through a night yet. But she’s so healthy and strong, and who doesn’t love chunky baby thighs???
Posted on June 21, 2017
This family simply amazed me. They were so relaxed, so incredibly comfortable with their new status as a family of four. Their little guy arrived a bit early, and even so they seemed unfazed, seamlessly incorporating another tiny human’s needs into their daily routine.
Big sister was adjusting to her role so well, too! She was just great at handling her baby brother, and she was such a good listener (when told how to hold him, and how many more shots before she could have a gummy fruit snack… the best incentive for pictures!).
This little boy was super chill, and I think that really speaks to his parents’ sense of ease at having a newborn in the house again. Looking back over their pictures reminds me that our stress and mood as parents has such an impact on our kids. So tomorrow, I’ll try to set the to-do list stress aside (sorry, laundry) and sit down to read a book, draw with chalk, or play in the yard with my littles instead 🙂
Posted on June 7, 2017
What better reason to celebrate than a first birthday?! The amount of change your baby has gone through is remarkable, and goodness, the impact on your life… I love how these celebrations bring together family and friends to celebrate not just baby, but also the parents’ achievements and hard work in raising their child through his or her first year.
This little boy is so loved, and we had so many loving grandmas to photograph with him! He’s a speedy little crawler on the go — a second child, so his big brother’s showing him his moves! But he still knows how to cuddle up in his mama’s arms. After taking family photos, we changed him into the cutest, coolest 1st birthday bib and let him dive in. This boy was all about the icing… happy birthday, Baby D.!